Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A new kind of thought

Lately, I catch myself having a new kind of thought: “How would that thought look in print, going out to, who knows? thousands? hundreds? or the ten or so people who check in on this blog?”  So I jot it down anyway -- happy at least that I’m writing again. I must have 10-12 blank notebooks (I buy them to feed a fetish I have about having blank notebooks around), only two of them filled, and the rest -- partially filled. Now, with this blog, I can read stuff I’ve written - or copied/quoted from what others have written - and scroll its contents. 
Is writing a spiritual exercise? It may be if the in-spir-ation comes from the spirit. What then is the “spirit”?
Some dictionary definitions:
The vital principle or animating force within living beings 
• A supernatural being or essence: The soul, considered as   departing from the body of a person at death 
• Incorporeal consciousness (consciousness is important here); 
• any incorporeal supernatural being that can become visible (or audible) to human beings
• The part of a human associated with the mind, will, and feelings (all very important in spiritual practices like meditation)
• a fundamental emotional and activating principle determining one's character

But the one that I like is:
“The term "Spirit" translates the Hebrew word ruah, which, in its primary sense, means breath, air, wind. (The Greek word is pneuma)  So, inspiration means to have spirit breathed into one. And so, on some level, to be inspired to do something creative is to be infused with spirit. 
From Genesis 2:7 the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being. 
        And so I continue on my search for “The Spirit” and to pursue any inspiration to write.

No comments: